First Entry!

First Entry!

Monday, January 23, 2012

Constructivism in Practice

The instructional strategies this week focused on Generating and Testing Hypotheses. The basic description of these terms states that the students are engaged in complex mental processes, applying content, and are enhancing their overall understanding of the content (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007). Linking that to the definition of constructivist and constructionism learning theories is not all that hard. The constructionism way of thinking is that students are to not only be engaged in the learning process, but to be building as well. That building can take place with whatever tools maybe available to the student. In terms of today's students, that is most likely to be some sort of technology.

The examples given in the course text talk about a class using an Excel worksheet and appplying their knowledge of compounding interest and saving money. As the students in that example began to figure out which way to invest their pretend money, they were also building a spreadsheet that encompassed graphing and mathematical skills. In other words, the students were building very valuable lessons, and they were not even aware of it. The final outcome was a spreadsheet that demonstrated overall how much money they were making on their investment and they constructed it.

Constructionism is a tool that helps students build their schema to include so many more items or pieces of content. When I sit and think about it, many of my lessons could include more constructionist approaches. Building is the important factor, as the students are going to be more able to recall the information at a later date (as they were responsible for building the final product).


Pitler, H., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

7 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about my lessons. When the students are not only learning the material but actually building something with it they are much more energized and into the lesson. It’s not always easy as a teacher to create lessons where the students can create something. But I have found the times I have been able to do this the students have taken a lot more out of it. I think the challenge is to continue to use technology and challenge the students to be creative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that many teachers want to include more constructionism in their lessons, I know I do! It is such a great theory and when you do involve it in the classroom, you can see how well your students respond to it. I think it is very important to do hands-on activities where students can physically handle things in the classroom. Students also like creating things to have a finished product, which is where your excel example comes in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with you and the other two posts. I am realizing that when I integrate these hands-on experiences, my students enjoy learning. Just to see them excited and willing to do things outside of the classroom is priceless! I plan to use more of these strategies in my classroom to not only improve learning, but to make my teaching more exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto for me, having a quality final product for this kids to show as their own makes them more interested in the information. Trying to find quality products for them to create is the real problem. If only there were somewhere we could find these projects. I have searched through the materials that are listed as a part of this weeks work and there aren't many that apply to my area of study. I guess I will just have to keep searching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that it is great that we all agree that adding constructionism to our lessons not only deepens the lesson, but it ends up being more enjoyable for students and teacher alike. I am interested to learn more about voicethread.com and see all that it has to offer. I think a tool like that would become very valuable and useful as students would have the option to login at home and add information. As long as the lessons are contiually growing and building, the students are learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also excited to use voicethread. I enjoyed watching some of them as I browsed the site. I think it will be a great tool for me to use in my math lessons.

      Delete
  6. Project based learning that entails the students working through a problem that is relevant to real world situations is an awesome tool. Applying constructionism techniques into our lessons greatly benefits the students by helping them retain the knowledge. These experiences help them get the information learned into their long term memory.

    ReplyDelete